Sterile Processing Tech
Job Summary: The Sterile Processing Tech is responsible for maintaining high standards for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and ancillary departments. This includes working with the OR staff to provide timely sterile products and trays where applicable. The SP Processing Tech maintains consistency and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. The Sterile Processing Tech must be certified, and therefore should demonstrate advanced knowledge of sterilization techniques, surgical instruments, and an in-depth understanding of how the Sterile Processing Department’s relationship with other departments within the hospital is necessary.
Responsibilities include decontamination, operation of steam and other forms of sterilization as well as all monitoring processes included with same. Use chemicals and appropriate PPE as established protocols and procedures. Maintains adequate inventory for assembly of instruments and equipment. Perform multiple tasks that assist in the daily operation of all units as well as being responsible for customer service.
- Sanitizes the workstation at the end of each shift.
- Utilizes the Abacus Instrument/Equipment Tracking system per department protocol.
- Effectively communicates, verbally, and in writing, with customers, peers, and visitors.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues associated with instruments or equipment.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
- Determines the proper method of sterilization and prepares instrumentation for appropriate sterilization means.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot the operations of steam sterilizers, ETO, Sterrad NX, Washer/sanitizer, and sonic equipment.
- Maintain computerized detailed lists of various trays and their components.
- Maintain data entry of instrument count sheets.
- Assists with maintaining the manufacturer’s recommendations (IFU) for sterilization of instruments.
- Requests replacement instruments and repairs to insure routine instrument trays are maintained at all times.
- Inform OR, OB, and ER of any missing instruments in sets or instruments sent for repair.
- Maintains proper records of all sterilizations.
- Participates in the review/revision/update of Sterile Processing Department Policies and Procedures.
- Sterilize and return all instruments and related items to the proper areas in a timely manner.
- Distributes supplies, equipment, and related items throughout the hospital upon request.
- Cleans and maintains crash carts and GU cart; distributing where needed.
- Maintain an adequate supply of sterilized supplies for hospital departments.
- Maintains adequate supplies to complete the cleaning, processing, and sterilization of instrumentation and equipment. (Submits purchase requisitions to Team Lead as necessary).
- Participates in data collection for Quality Assurance Project Improvements.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Three (3) years of related experience and current
CRCST / CBSPD certification.